Thursday, February 10, 2011

Faces and Places

My sales clerk yesterday looked EXACTLY like Chad Michael Murray!! I was in a cute homestore called HEMTREX to get some towels and such, and I couldn't stop staring! It was amazing! I most definitely creeped him out but he still smiled at me. I texted Chad while in the store and told him his twin lived in Sweden...SIKE

It has been such an interesting first week in my new home and with the whole house being sick (mom AND all 3 kids with high fevers), I have had to do most everything on my own with little direction.  My first experience out on my own was this past Saturday, my day off.  Magnus (dad) had the idea that I should use his tram card and venture into town.  Originally, Jenny was going to go with me and show me but she was sick as a dog and wasn't going to be able to make it out of bed that day...so I was on my own (uh oh).  I was very nervous but I decided to just go for it: get on a tram and find my way downtown, or as they call it in Sweden, "centrum."  Magnus told me which tram to take and what station to stop at.  He wasn't worried at all that I hadn't ever been out of the country and that I had no idea what anyone was saying when they tried to talk to me!  I made it to the tram station, which is a 4 minute walk, and asked a couple of guys who were talking to each other in swedish, "this way to centrum?"  They replied with "yes, correct." Okay, that wasn't so bad!  I finally made it to the mall and walked around for a bit.  There were SO many people there, nothing was in english, and I was trying my hardest to walk like I knew where I was going.  I was so overwhelmed listening to the sounds and the language around in this crowded place.  I've never been so intimidated about opening my mouth!  Everyone can speak english, but swedish is their first language so that is all I heard, putting me comepletely out of my comfort zone.  When I got home, I almost wanted to cry!  I missed America BAD!  But this is my home for the next 10 months so I have to make myself be ok.  I WILL be ok!

Sunday was a better day.  Jenny's (mom) parents took Elias (2 year old) and I to the harbor.  They don't speak english very well, but they told me all about Göteburg the best they could, and even taught me a few words in Svenska (swedish).  It was refreshing to walk around in the cold air, to think, and to listen.  Already, I can say it is my favorite place, full of boats, pier cafe's, and a beautiful image of the city just across the harbor!  There is a lot to do and see, especially in the spring and summer when everyone is ALWAYS outside :) And there's FRESH sushi everywhere.  As DAve Barnes would say, "So gooood, so good!"

Sigh, I'm going to love it in this country, and after my Swedish course, it will be MUCH easier!  I'll be able to make new friends, talk/understand the kids, and actually "live" in Göteburg! It is quite peaceful and friendly. 

Here's to brighter days!

No comments:

Post a Comment