Children laughing, a fresh mountain river, waves crashing on the sand, crickets and bull frogs, horses running in a pasture, the key of G on the guitar, your mother's voice, sizzling fajitas, the coffee maker in the morning...etc. Do me a favor. Think about a "sound" you love. Just one sound. Now, close your eyes and really imagine this sound like it is sounding in this very moment. HA!! I bet you couldn't think of just one! You tried, but then the dryer's buzzer went off, a motorcycle rode by, or maybe you heard someone walking toward you. I bet you couldn't count all the sounds you actually hear on a 10 minute walk outside. Are our ears not incredible?!
I think my favorite of the five senses is hearing, or maybe that is a dominant sense of mine. Just the other day, I came home from my first swedish class and sat down and turned the tv on to find the cast of "The Sound of Music" together for a reunion on Oprah.
*Side note: I have a crush on Captain VonTrapp. His voice is close to perfection. End side note*
Anywho, I was also studying swedish because I started class this week. Now picture this: I look up from studying and find myself mezmorized by the simple tune of Edelweiss...with tears! I was crying! Something in my brain registered to me that the sound of these notes put together was beautiful! Not to mention the sound that Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer make together! Gasp! Go to youtube or your itunes right now, and listen to how simple this tune is. It reminds me of the scene in "The Holiday" where Miles plays a tune for Iris and says, "iris, if you were a melody, i used only the good notes..." Edelweiss, also, uses only the good notes.
I started thinking about how often music alone does this to me. Music is one thing that can always bring me to life, meaning my emotions are affected more by music than people most of the time. If you know me well enough, you know that i am always singing, or if i am not singing, i have a song in my head at all times. It can be annoying, especially if you are Sam Giffin, my brother, and a 2-hour car ride home is nothing but, "OMG!! I LOVE this song!!!"...for every song...
*Side note: i also LOVE everything. End side note*
I am going to say it: I LOVE music! I can't help it! My mom used to have us listen to classical music when we were very young and pick out the instruments that were being played. I still do that today, except now i can pick out the rhythms and harmonies (shout out to my girl, ARG, my harmony partner in crime). It is incredible how many different sounds can be included in every song, and how many different songs and tunes exist in the world. I am blown away by how blessed i am that i have "ears to hear" (matthew 11:15).
It is not just the sound of music that i love so much either. I love the sounds of nature, the sounds that allow me to feel so close to my Lord Jesus. Think about the power in the feirce waves of the pacific ocean, or the peace of a mountain stream. Think about the calm before a storm, and then the wrath of thunder. Usually, it is what i see in vast places that make me feel so small, but also the sounds of His creation. The smaller i feel, the more overwhelmed and comforted i am by His love for me. And that is just with my ears! There are so many things God has given us to be able to experience an intimate relationship with Him that we take for granted.
"Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes?"
(1 Corinthians 14:7)
It seems silly that a simple tune such as Edelweiss, a tune that is familiar and old to many, can bring such a realization of the many blessings we have, including our ears. Our ears allow us to "sense" or experience joy, peace, love, sadness, thrill, and even fear. Whether it is the sound of an instrument, a simple melody, a busy sidewalk, or a library, try to be in "tune" with what you hear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFHujvkacNY
*Side note: yeah, i know, that line was super corny, but it happens so get over it. End side note*
No comments:
Post a Comment